Tuesday, August 3, 2010

20 Years and Counting


Do we ever really grow up?  Can we ever really go home?  Or maybe the question is do we ever really outgrow our insecurities we encountered in our youth? 

You may wonder what brought this up.  Why am I asking these questions now?  Well, at the end of this week I head home to Columbia, South Carolina for my 20th high school reunion.  As the date gets closer I am feeling more and more anxious.  All of the insecurities, all of the doubts, all of the confusion, all of the promise, all of the dreams I had as a teenager seem to be coming back to me in some weird non-drug induced flashback. 

I will be seeing people I’ve known most of my life, but haven’t seen in 20 years.  Old friends, old rivals, old flames, old teammates, people who long ago were too good for me, and people I could have been nicer to when I had a chance.  Most of us came from modest means. Some had more than others, but when we were in the sand box at Windsor United Methodist Preschool and Windsor Elementary we knew very little of social differences and standing.  We just played super heroes and took naps listening to the “Sound of Music” soundtrack.  We played kickball, hated square dancing in PE and lived for field day.  We had everything in front of us and our parents assured us we were destined for big things.  We progressed through middle school (shout-out to the E.L. Wright Warriors) and started to develop our different talents and personalities.  We all went through that awkward stage (some of us more awkward than others) and we realized that we all weren’t equal.  Some stood out as smart, athletic, artistic, socially adept and others of us seemed to stay in the background.  It was an interesting time to grow up, in a fairly sheltered and mundane part of the world. 

The materialistic 80’s was the backdrop for our formative years.  We were raised on MTV and John Hughes movies made it painfully clear that our lives were not nearly as cool as those rich kids in the Chicago suburbs.  We believed in Reaganomics and Duran Duran.  We went retro with Zeppelin and progressive with the Cure.  We watched the shuttle explode and the Wall come down.  We went from thinking our parents could do no wrong to being certain that our parents knew nothing and couldn’t possibly understand.  Ours was a time when there seemed to be a lull in controversy.  We were winners of the cold war as the Soviet Union embraced capitalism.  We had no war to protest (except the war on drugs).  The economy was growing.  Computers became personal.  It was the “me generation.”

And Columbia, South Carolina was a sleepy town, without much excitement.  Carolina football and the State Fair, soccer leagues, and little league, weekends at the lake, vacations to Myrtle Beach, and homecoming floats were the highlights of each year.  We knew there was a bigger world out there but we weren’t that interested in seeing it.

As we entered Spring Valley High School we knew we were going to close out a decade of decadence (thinly veiled musical reference) as the graduating class of 1990.  And we were going to take over the world, or something along those lines.  We were successful.  We passed tests.  We performed.  We won championships - or came close (I do know the farther in the past it gets the better we were).  An exciting night out was going to “Whiteroads” to park after a football game.   We would listen to music, try to get up the nerve to talk to that girl.  Some would drink beer.  Others would smoke.  I would… well… be the designated driver.   At some point someone (usually of the redneck persuasion) would start a short-lived fight, the police might come and we would scramble.  Ah, those were some memorable nights.

For a few years after we lived on our past accomplishments.  We relived the glory days (musical reference) of our high school success.  Then we realized that everyone else at college had similar stories.  We weren’t overly special.  We were fairly ordinary.  But our parents and teachers had told us we were going to make a difference. 

That realization begs the question: how? How are we going to stand out?  What will we really accomplish?  How will we make an impact on the world?

So what did we become? What were we supposed to become? Did we live up to our potential? Did we live up to expectations? 

Notice how I keep using the pronoun “we” when I should be using “I.”  I don’t presume to be speaking for anyone else.  I am so intimately acquainted with these anxieties, that I find it hard to believe I’m alone.  But these questions are mine alone to answer.

What did I become? What was I supposed to become? Did I live up to my potential? Did I live up to expectations? 

Now it is twenty years later and what are we?  What am I?  I know how I saw myself in high school.  I underachieved or rather, I fell short.  Socially, I felt always on the fringe, through no one’s fault but my own.  Academically, I was in the top group but not near the top of that group.  Athletically, I fought and uphill battle against inferior genetics to gain a modest level of success (sorry Mom and Dad, but come on, look at what I was working with).  And artistically, I had no real interest or talent (except poetry that in retrospect was pretty bad).  But I had high hopes, high expectations, high standards, I was going to be….. something.

So what am I now, as I go back home?  As I go back the place that so greatly influenced who I was and have become, I realize I am what I always was.  A teacher, a coach, a father, a friend, who still has a long way to go.  A boy, now a man that still has promise, that still has dreams, that certainly still has insecurities, but with a perspective that what we have accomplished is seen in the people around us that we affect.

I left South Carolina after graduating and it would be wrong to say that I never looked back, because I do look back.  I look back fondly.  I look back with a bit of melancholy.  I went off to Duke to pursue “bigger things”, then headed to Atlanta to experience the big city (albeit too afraid to leave the comfort of the southeast), and now I am living the suburban life in Plano, Texas (Dallas).  (I shuttle kids to and from soccer practice, but at least I avoided the mini-van.)

I am proud of where I came from.  It made me who I am today.  Though simple and slow, life in South Carolina in the 70’s and 80’s surrounded by the people in my life gave me something.  It gave me a belief in others.  It gave me a perspective that allows me today to give everyone a chance, to not judge too quickly, to show compassion, to help, to understand that hard work is rewarded.  It taught me the lessons, both good and bad that I have built on year after year. 

So who am I?  What did I become?  What great things did I do?  Nothing that will make the history books..

I will not cure cancer.  I will not ensure world peace.  I will not feed all the starving children.  I will not travel in space.  I will not play in the World Cup.  I will not write a best seller (though one day I may get around to trying).  But….one of my students might.  One of my children might.  I am a teacher and a father.  I strive only to be a good and thoughtful person. I strive to be honest, kind, and trustworthy.  At times I fail in even these modest goals. 

I have accomplished some things.  I was a collegiate wrestler but not a very successful one.  I received my degree in neuroscience from Duke, but have not really put that knowledge to use.  I married, have two great kids, got divorced, remarried and now have two great step-daughters.  I have coached state championship soccer teams and taught hundreds of eager minds in AP Biology and AP Psychology classes.  I have made great friends and recently lived a dream of playing cards against the best.  But I’m not done.  I think there is more in front of me. 

With all of the insecurities, with all of the self-doubt, with all of the expectations, I still have promise.  I don’t know what it is, but maybe when my 40th high school reunion comes around I’ll have tales to tell.

I hope that anyone who reads this entry will leave a comment.  Maybe your thoughts on reunions, going home, living up to expectations, or redefining what is success.  Any and all are welcome.  Next week I hope to reflect on things post reunion event.  Thanks for reading.


19 comments:

  1. Cool post. Thanks for being real and being willing to share all these thoughts, I enjoyed reading it and look forward, with similar mixed feelings, to the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perspective and precursor to the upcoming weekend. High school can often be a hotbed of insecurity and judgement: the right clothes, hair (oh, and how big hair was for 80s ladies!), friends, activities, athleticism, looks, parental income, etc. To what extent is that mirrored at a reunion? Looks, clothes, money still the deciding factors? What makes a classmate "successful" may not even be evident to us in casual conversation. Who sold a company for millions? Who was brave enought to start his own company that ultimately failed? Who survived divorce, cancer, or the loss of a spouse/child? Who works 3 jobs just to break even? Who has remained a genuinely good person? A victory is a victory. For me, I'm just glad I'm still truckin' and am looking forward to catching up with everyone vs. using it as a chance to give a laundry list of what seems impressive. Of course, Facebook does remove some of the mystery around what folks have been up to for the last few years. See you guys this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was as you say it was. One thing I have figured out is that the "cool" people were just as insecure as, well....the rest of us. Now I am friends with some of those people...again. High school changed who had been your friends but would be again!! I look forward to seeing you and all of the "cool" and the not-so-cool people again this weekend. I am a lot much secure than I used to be....I guess..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig,

    Not surprisingly, you have captured so many of the finer points of our childhood. Since I went to Windsor United Methodist Church with you and was in the Snow White play with you guys, and went to Windsor Elementary and EL WRIGHT, we definitely share so many common memories.

    I believe it is all about perspective. Funny thing to me is, from my perspective you were the soccer guru before all of us, and went on to be the wrestling stud, and always were with us in the advanced classes.... I simply viewed you as one of us.

    My perspective was always weird though, because I viewed Ken Hoffman as "one of us" too! AND HE WAS if you think back on the better memories of high school!

    I would not trade my small town South Carolina childhood for anyone else's experience. It was perfect. Perfect to me means filled with just enough adversity to test our metal and not quite enough to ruin us.

    Spring Valley, especially, was a very special place for the window of time we squeaked through it. To think of the teaching roster that retired from SV in the 1990's is astonishing.

    To me, I really don't care about hearing about everyone's successes and what they have become or not become.... I just want to talk ... at all! with old friends. There is safety in the going home for me. I know some won't agree, probably because they didn't have the same positive memories that I had... but to me, the growing up years were so special, and I will simply enjoy being around the folks that helped it all be that way.

    I don't want to see old friends so I can "remember how it used to be" and "try and go back to that time" --- it is much deeper than that for me.

    I want to see those old friends because I truly enjoyed seeing them the first time around.

    I wish we could eat a white bag lunch with a rubbery chicken sandwich and poor chocolate milk into a vanilla milkshake and watch Mike McCoy serve another clean up duty in the commons while we hang out. That would make it perfect to me!

    Looking forward to seeing everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon Cross SandersAugust 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM

    My husband and I stayed up forever talking about much of what you just blogged. I learned so much about his high school years and remembered more than I wanted to about my years. Reflection is bitter sweet and so is raising a family! I am looking forward to seeing everyone and keepin it real! Thanks for your post! We're all right there with ya! Love, Sharon --hey-I remember you as an awesome wrestler or wrastler as we'd say here in GA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crissey (Meetze) GarrickAugust 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM

    Marty's right - it was all about perspective. Craig mentions that he felt "fringe" but I remembered him as being "popular." And while I felt (and am pretty sure I WAS) fringe in one sense, in my own little world (band) I think that I was more than that. I believe adolescence comes with a package of built in insecurities, and one of those might very well be the pressure to BE SOMETHING. Something bigger than yourself. And many of those insecurities bleed into adulthood. But perhaps, we're just supposed to live fully, and do the best we can with what we're given. It's not a grand goal, but it's an admirable one I think.

    I look forward to seeing everyone there Saturday night, and hearing how everyone's lives have progressed so far. I can't believe it's been 20 years. I still feel young. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Craig, well written and true for most. I think if the greatest thing I accomplish is raising two healthy, happy, children who turn into good people of solid character I have done my best. Seems you have done so too.

    Speaking historically, you never seemed to be on the "fringe" so much as part of the main stream in crowd. Just goes to show what perception is. Reality based on where you stand and start.

    Stephanie Abramson-Hayden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Craig! Thanks so much for writing that..You captured so much in those paragraphs. I enjoyed reading everyone's comments almost as much as your blog. I am just looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday night- and like Marty said, I really could care less who is the most successful or wealthy or what have you- I just want to see everyone.

    And I am with Crissey- how on earth can it be 20 years already- I still feel so young (although mirror does tell me different-oh well!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exisitely written. And I agree, "Fringe", harldy. I think Scholar, Athlete, Gentleman. But I guess it is perspective and how you see yourself. Definitely agree with Marty. We just need a dirt road, a bon fire, some natty lights, marlboro lights and a little GnR. (Not that I smoke anymore.) And it will be just like it was 20 years ago, no matter how much money we make or how we look. See you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am I the only one who enjoyed the square dancing at Windsor elementary? I guess it was the forced interaction with girls that I enjoyed since I was too shy to do so otherwise.

    It is amazing how those insecurities from adolescence have crept into my forethoughts recently. I guess they never truly go away. I remember seeing someone I had a crush on in high school 5 or 6 years ago and even though I barely knew her anymore and she was just a friend (musical reference) I still felt some anxiety.

    I am looking forward to seeing everyone….I know there will be those who do not remember me but I remember them and vice versa but not out of disrespect but just because our memories are fading, or at least mine.

    Chris Ewart

    P.S. I think you captured all I can remember from Windsor Elementary except you forgot Miss Pat Ball (Peter) our 4th grade teacher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said Craig! I think you addressed so many feelings that many people felt! I remember my first day at SV, like it was yesterday. I can remember driving to school being so angry…..angry that my parents had moved me from the home I had lived in for 16 years. Angry that they had thrown me into this unknown territory at the beginning of my junior year. I remember walking the halls that first day, holding my books close to my chest and holding my head down. I was so upset, b/c I was thinking that there was no way I could even find my way around those circular halls to my class, let alone even thinking about making new friends. Finally, it was 8th period. I walked into the class put my books down and sighed relief, knowing this was the last class and I had made it through the first day! Right before the bell rang, Ferris turned and asked if I was new to SV. For the first time in almost 8 hours, I actually spoke words. Everything changed for me at that moment, and I realized that everything was going to be okay. I ended up loving high school in SC. I made many different friends in all different kinds of “groups”. The great thing about HS, is that it is only the first of many steps helping you become the person you are today! I hope everyone has a great time visiting at the reunion, and catching up on the last 20 years. Hate that I will miss it, and thanks for the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a fellow sand-boxer in preschool, it is nice to hear some of my same feelings written so eloquently! It feels a bit surreal to be entering the company of those who surrounded me when my insecurities were at their highest, and it's nice to hear that I'm not alone. I have some of your same memories, some different ones, and others that have faded over the last twenty years. I just hope my faded memory doesn't let me down this weekend...the older I get, the less I want to hurt anyone's feelings. Looking forward to talking and catching up with everyone...from the fringe on in.
    Amy Dillon McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our generation will get to be one of the last "innocent" generations. When I was growing up, I had the RUN of the neighborhood. With all the varied paths and woods around the Woodlands, I could entertain myself for hours in that neighborhood... And I did... All the time... There was something special about growing up in that time, in that place...

    I never loved Spring Valley. I thought it was rather pretentious, and full of snobs... I still believe that to be the case... But by the time Senior Year rolled around, I was comfortable "sticking out" and being different. I had my friends in the Drama Department, and a few colleagues in our class of 1990. That was all I really needed out of high school...

    The true adventures in life started soon thereafter... I'm not going to the reunion this weekend... Sort of the non-committal type then, and even more so now... But it is interesting to have aged 20 years since then... And I'm sure there will be some great memories recounted at the reunion...

    Excellent writing, Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reunion. Well this year is my 50th and I will tell you that that is scary. You can rest assured that there are many measures of Success none of which are very reliable. I know that you are already a success. A few weeks ago in Las Vegas I saw it. It was not the fact that you went out of the WSOP at 152 out of 7300 participants. We were waiting for the Final of Can we claim the Mind genes? I know your feelings insecurity as you return to your 20th the World Cup and a former Student of yours can into the Lounge to watch with us .I remembered this student from Atlanta because he played soccer for you and was a student of yours. You were very proud of him because he went to Princeton University and was playing soccer for them. He saw us and he also saw a personal friend who was in the lounge. He invited his friend over to introduce him to you and said “Other than my parents this man taught me more than any other person I know. Now that is success. I also see how your kids are Craig your Blog was very interesting. Your mom and I are sorry about the Short genes. growing up and how you handle your self on a day to day basis. Think of it as just the first 20 years and how successful you will be in the next twenty. As I head to my Fifth (50) Reunion. I am at the end, am I a success? Well I know so, with three children like you Shannon and Vicki and wife Barbara I know I am!!
    Have a great time. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a great post! It made me think back to the great years at HI and when I graduated in 96'. I am now a teacher have also been married, divorced, and now remarried and getting ready to be a mom. Your post was awesome and I hope that in 15 years or so I have made an impact enough on my students,athletes, and children etc.. that they will come back and read my posts and blogs! Thanks for the great foundation and stepping stones that you gave us along the way!! Have fun at your reunion!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for posting feedback. These responses have really made me look forward to seeing everyone. I appreciate all of the heartfelt honesty. It is all about perspective. And Lynn Allison, It is former students like you that make me love going into the classroom and onto the field everyday. It is not about the subject matter or the sport, it is about relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had no idea you were such an AMAZING writer! Everything you wrote couldn't have been written or said better... I am in awe. Tajia Bussert Ps.. I have more to say about this but my kids are demanding I cook for them right now...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Craig,
    I'm so glad Tajia told me about your blog! It is so encouraging to read everyone's honest thoughts about insecurities, etc. I could fill a book with my thoughts in that arena.

    But the reason I'm posting a comment is because I am thrilled to tell you a middle school memory that I have of you.

    First, let me say that when I was talking to Tajia, and she mentioned your name, I told her what I'm about to share here. That's when she told me about your blog.

    I have a very clear memory (big deal for me) of a day in middle school at E.L. Wright in the gym. We were going to play volleyball and the PE Teacher had you and another person pick teams. (Terrifying for someone like me with absolutely no coordination.) I never felt like I had anything to contribute to team sports and expected to be the last picked.

    But, Craig Savage picked me. I always saw you as a 'cool' person and was so surprised that you chose me.

    As the volleyball game went on, I am sure I flailed around trying to do what I could. When the ball would come to me, I remember swinging at it, and missing, and hearing a collective, disappointed groan from others.

    Guess what you said...."Good try, Angela". Your support continued throughout the game.

    Craig, that meant so much to me. Thank you.

    Tears are welling up over here in Elgin. I am an overly sappy person, but am so glad to share this memory with you.

    From what I can tell by reading posts from people who know you as a coach and teacher, this generous and kind moment was a foreshadowing of the success you were to become.

    I look forward to following your blog.

    I have a blog to share with you but it isn't nearly as eloquent! Just fun, obsessing over my new twin daughters.

    http://macandcheesetwins.blogspot.com/

    Your Dad's post was so sweet to read. I see where you got part of your kindness.

    Best wishes and continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a long post and I forgot to say who I am....Angela Brown...now, Angela McCall.

    :)

    ReplyDelete